Yes: and it’s been done with great results.
These images below are of some studies done by us.
Here are some facts:
1. Shipping containers are in many ways an ideal building material.
2. They can provide a strong steel structure.
3. They are cheap to buy: often it’s cheaper to build a new one in China than return and empty one from Europe.
4. There are 30 million lying dormant worldwide: recycling makes sense.
5. They are easy to transport.
6. They are made to standard measurements and provide modular structures that can be combined into larger structures.
However there are problems which have to be addressed:
1. May need special cleaning if they’ve been exposed to toxic materials
2. Need to be well insulated
3. Humidity / condensation needs to be dealt with.
4. These problems can be expensive to overcome.