San Roque is in the Cadiz province of Andalucia, and within short driving distance of some of the most beautiful beaches in Spain. Pine forests abound, fresh sea breezes fill the air and the rock of Gibraltar and the Mediterranean can be seen from its lofty 109m outpost. San Roque is the name of the municipality of the area, which includes Sotogrande. There is a thriving local population, a golf course a few miles inland and an up-market residential estate.
The village itself is very pretty with an old church, a village square and a selection of traditional tapas bars and restaurants.
The residential estate associated with the golf course is low rise and low intensity with lots of space, beautiful cork tree forests and views of the surrounding mountains and Mediterranean.
It’s very close to Sotogrande and enjoys all the facilities, such as the marina, golf courses and equestrian school that Sotogrande offers. It also has a highly prestigious golf and country club, which hosted the Open de España in 2005 and 2006, and regularly hosts the Asprey Cup horse race. It also boasts 4 restaurants (one of which is high class Japanese), an equestrian centre, a heated pool and a health and beauty centre.
Plots of Land For Sale San Roque, Cadiz
We have spent some time researching plots of land for sale in San Roque, Cadiz. Contact us for a update.
Hotels, Bars and Restaurants in San Roque, Cadiz
Some of the best hotels in San Roque and its surrounding area are NH Sotogrande, Hotel Almenara, Hotel Club Maritimo and The Suites at San Roque Club.
There are four top-class restaurants in San Roque. La Finca (Thai cooking), El Revuelo (tapas, Spanish traditional), Don Benito (Mediterranean) and Guardavias (traditional Spanish cuisine) are some of the most notable examples.
Beaches near San Roque, Cadiz
San Roque offers access to a variety of beautiful beaches, which can be counted among some of the best beaches on the Costa de la Luz. There are wide open sports beaches suitable for surfing, as well as smaller cove beaches ideal for quiet sunbathing.
To the west of La Linea and Gibraltar:
- Cala Carmen Beach
- Campamento / Puente Beach
- Guadarranque Beach
- Mayorga Beach
To the East of La Linea and Gibraltar:
- Alcaidesa Beach (Torrecarbonera & Hacienda)
- Sotogrande Beach (Guadalquitón & Borondo)
- Torreguadiaro Beach – awarded the 2012 blue flag by the European Union for high standards of facilities and cleanliness
- Cala Sardina Beach (also known as Cabrero Beach or Chullera Beach) – was also awarded the 2012 blue flag
Shopping in San Roque, Cadiz
San Roque is a traditional village with a few bars and shops for your basic needs, yet well located to take advantage of the more commercial shopping outlets in Cadiz and Marbella.
Cadiz Golf Courses
- San Roque Club: Dave Thomas and Tony Jacklin designed the golf course which opened in 1990 and was later modified by Seve Ballesteros. Easily one of the best golf courses in Spain, possibly even Europe, San Roque Club holds excellent practice facilities, the Seve Ballesteros Golf Academy and of course the luxury hotel and spa.
- San Roque Club New Course: This new course opened in 2004 to add to the already extensive selection of Cadiz golf courses and features swathes of pretty cork and oak trees and deep bunkers.
- Club de Golf La Cañada: 18 windy holes designed by Robert Trent Jones.
- Club de Golf Almenara: 27 holes designed by Dave Thomas one of the best golf courses in Europe.
International Schools near San Roque Cadiz
Just a 15-minute drive north of San Roque is one of the best international schools in Spain – Sotogrande International School. It is very well-renowned and demand for places is high.