To keep it snappy here are the benefits of green roofs:
1. They provide very effective thermal insulation
2. Acts as an acoustic muffler: better sound insulation
3. High Durability a green roof protects the damp proof membrane
4. It provides habitat for birds and insects in urban environments
5. It improves local air quality
6. It absorbs and stores rainwater alleviating pressure on urban drainage systems
7. It absorbs heat from sun: reducing heat island effect of urban areas
Lastly: improved health: there is a growing body of evidence that visual and physical contact with natural greenery provides a range of benefits. These include mental benefits such as reduction in stress and physical benefits such as provision of cleaner air. A study of post surgery patient recovery has shown patients recover more quickly if they can look out onto green spaces. In Germany the roof of a Bunderpost Office in Stuttgart was greened and absenteeism due to sickness amongst the workers fell dramatically compared to neighbouring blocks with conventional roofs.
So……..lots of good reasons!
Author: John Wolfendale
Bio: John is a founder of Eco Vida and is passionate about bringing modern design and construction practices to Spain. He believes a home which is warm in winter and cool in summer is largely a matter of design and selective use of materials. He is British and a Chartered Surveyor with 20 years experience living and working in Spain.