John Wolfendale has been involved for many months in preparing a course in Sustainable Development for the commercial property industry in conjunction with Bayfield Training.
The material prepared so far covers:
- The affect sustainable development has on tenant demand and rents
- The affect sustainable development has on asset value
- The affect sustainable development has on running costs
- Public benefits of sustainable development which may influence the planning authorities
- Independent assessment tools such as LEED and BREEAM
- The importance of design in energy efficiency
- Sustainable building materials
- On site renewable energy sources
- The regulatory environment and tax benefits of sustainable development.
- Future technology
The course teaches financial modelling so delegates can assess the financial impact of each decision on the bottom line.
The course is focussed on the needs of the industry so delegates acquire the tools and concepts they need to make better business decisions.
Possible case studies are:
- Phoenix Valley China: a wide range of sustainable features
- Green Circle Missouri USA : Leed Platinum
- Z for 2 Portland Oregon USA: great example of what can be done with great design and few gadgets
- The Puyallup Longhouse’s the Place of the Hidden Waters: important passive design features and sensitive to the local landscape
- The Drake Landing Solar Community: futuristic seasonal thermal heating
Bayfield Training is the leading international training company for the commercial property investment industry. Clients include the top property companies, investment funds and leading firms of chartered surveyors such as Jones Lang le Salle, Cushman and Wakefield and CBRE.
Author: John Wolfendale
Bio: John is a founder of Eco Vida and is passionate about bringing modern design and construction practices to Spain. He believes a home which is warm in winter and cool in summer is largely a matter of design and selective use of materials. He is British and a Chartered Surveyor with over 20 years experience living and working in Spain.